Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Importance Of Home

    I grew up in a large family. I, personally, am an only child, but my dad is one of six children and my mom is one of four. All of my Aunts and Uncles had at least two or three children each. Even my great Aunts and Uncles were around and would be at most family functions. There was always Sunday dinner at my Grandma's house, and I use the term "dinner" loosely as it usually happened more around lunch time. Birthday parties, holidays, and other random get togethers would always sprinkle the schedule as well. I grew up constantly surrounded with love and support. That was "Home". That is what home felt like.
     My parents were my rock and very involved in my son's life. My dad was, and still is, my idol. His opinion of me meant more than anything else, and Deacon (my son) thought the world of his Papa. My Mom was my best friend and I could tell her anything. She spoiled my son beyond what any normal grandparent would. They were inseparable. They were "Home" to us. Which is why, on September 21, 2006 I felt like I was losing everything that felt like home to me. That was the day I had to peal myself out of my Dad's embrace, wipe my tears off my cheeks, and set off for our first PCS to sunny California. Up until this point in my life I don't think I had even left the state of Michigan more than three or four times, so this was a big deal for me.  
   I had this mindset that "home" was and could only ever be Michigan. It took a very long time for me to learn that "home" was where ever my husband, my kids, and I were. I learned that if needed, I could make a cardboard box a home. Family could always visit, or we could visit them, and Michigan wasn't going anywhere. My family would always be there, just a phone call away. There are days I still miss being there. Going for walks or drives when the leaves were changing colors, or swimming in freshwater while camping at the lake....but I learned that "home" really is where the heart is, and honestly my children have my heart no matter where we are. They always have and always will. With their love and support, anywhere can be Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment